Fish balls stew is a well known stew in many African countries, the fish balls are cooked in a tomato stew with some vegetables. The stew can be served with rice,couscous, yams or bread.
- 500g of fish
- Half onion
- 3 gloves of garlic
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter
- Fresh chili peppers to your taste
- Black or white pepper, optional
- ½ tsp of salt Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp of corn flour (optional)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 big potato, peeled and cut
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut Half cabbage, cut into medium pieces
- Remove bones and skin from the fish or use fish fillet. Grind the fish in a food processor with some salt.
- Grind the onion, garlic, bouillon cube, chilies peppers, black pepper in a food processor.
- Mix the fish with the onion mixture and peanut butter. Mix well add the corn flour if you want. Then grease your hands and shape the fish mixture into small balls.
- heat the oil on medium and fry the fish balls until brown. Remove and reserve
- To prepare the stew, In a big bowl mash the fresh tomatoes with a little bit of water. Add the tomato paste, minced onion, grated garlic, bouillon cube, black pepper.
- heat the oil and add the tomato mixture. Let simmer at low heat for 5 to 10min or until it’s thicken and you can see the oil.
- Add your vegetables and water. Bring to boil and add the fish balls. Let simmer for 20 min. Salt and pepper to your taste. Serve with rice or yams. Enjoy!