Fish is only fish if it is fished from the fresh waters of Lake Victoria and served on a hot platter as done in some shack called Lwang’ni Hotel, in Kisumu. Recipe courtesy of Ordia Akelo
- Fresh medium sized tilapia (Straight from the lake if possible)
- 1 Onion
- 3 Tomatoes
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Scrape off the fish scales and remove the insides from the fish and wash thoroughly.
- Cut it into pieces and sprinkle salt over it then put it out in the sun for thirty minutes to drain
- Heat the oil until it is hot, preferably 365 degrees.
- Once it is dry, dip the fish into the oil and let it fry until it is golden brown.
- Fry your onions and tomatoes in a separate sufuria. once they are well done, pour a cup of water into the mixture and wait for it to boil.
- Put your fish in the soup (onion and tomato) and cover for 10 minutes.
- Serve with ugali and any vegetable of your choice but prerferably Sukuma wiki