These are PERFECT for breakfast with a cup of tea, and go really well as an accompaniment to many meals…especially grilled meats. Recipe courtesy of Ungagroup.com
- 3 cups all-purpose/ Exe mandazi flour
- 3/4 tsp. Instant yeast
- 7 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom powder
- 3/4 cup heavy coconut milk
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of coconut milk
- Oil for deep frying
- To make the Make the Dough, Sieve the flour, add in the yeast directly into it and the sugar and cardamom. Start kneading with the coconut milk adding a little at a time until you have a good soft dough. Knead it for about 15 good minutes, pounding it as much as possible. To check that it’s been kneaded enough, roll it into a ball and using a sharp knife, make a deep slit through it, it should look slightly bubbly on the inside.
- Divide each ball in half again. Form each section into a smooth ball
- Roll each ball into a circle Divide each circle into 4 sections
- Place all the sections on a lightly floured surface and keep covered for thirty minutes or so
- Test the oil temperature by placing the back of a wooden spoon into the center of your frying pan. If the oil is hot enough to use, bubbles will immediately come up from where the tip touches the bottom of the pan.
- Now fry until the color changes to a nice light brown and ensure they are puffed and been turned over.
- When in Perfect color, remove them from the hot oil, and continue frying until all are done. Serve with tea/coffee