Soft layered chapatis courtesy of Kenya Food Explorer.
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
- 3 cups all purpose flour,not self raising
- 1table spoon salt
- Vegetable oil
- In a plastic bowl,measure 3 cups of flour
- In another bowl,mix salt,2tablespoons vegetable oil,and 1cup warm water. Pour the liquid mixture onto the flour and mix well,keep adding the remaining water until the dough becomes soft.
- knead the dough for 10 minutes and add flour if needed.
- Transfer the dough on a flat surface and continue kneading and adding flour.make sure it's thick but not hard.
- Return the ready chapati dough in a bowl,add some oil and knead to mix it up until soft and sticky.
- Leave it to rest for at least 30 mins and cover it with a dump cloth.
- Divide it into small balls,and place it on a flat surface. With a rolling pin roll the ball to a circle shape. Brush the circle shape with oil on top.
- At the side that faces you,start folding and rolling the oiled chapati with both hands as if you are rolling a rod away from your direction.
- Create a coil like shape. With a rolling pin make a circle shape again.
- In a hot pan ,place the rolled out circle chapati and fry each side until it's golden brown on medium heat